Saturday, December 27, 2014

Twas the night before car repairs





‘Twas the night before Christmas,
And driving my car,
The engine was quitting,
It did not go far.

The drivebelt had slipped
Off the tensioner pulley.
The motor stalled out
Like a cast-iron bully.

I shifted to park
And turned the start key.
With the roar of the engine
I shouted with glee.




The light on the dash
Of the new running car
Was the battery light…
It would not get far.

With no force applied
To the dead alternator
I had to get home
Immediately, not later.

Away down the road
I flew like a fawn.
But turning was hard-
Power steering was gone!




More rapid than eagles
My curses they came.
And I grumbled and growled
And loudly complained.

“You bucket of bolts!
You big useless car!
I’m taking you into
the used scrap junkyard!”

The van made it back
To its parking spot home.
Then I Googled “drivebelt”
And watched Youtube videos.



Then taking a 15mm
Chrome box-end wrench
I pulled back on the tensioner
Until my teeth had to clench.

And slipping the drive belt
Back into its spot
I cranked up the car
Till the engine was hot.

My advice to you all
‘fore you drive out of sight:
Take a look at your belt
And make sure it’s on tight.


1 comment: